for supporting the HELLENIC PEOPLE
under the HIGH PATRONAGE of
THE GREEK MINISTRY OF THE FOREIGN AFFAIRS
The Coordination of the network of Mayors and Hellenes of Italy (hereinafter referred to as “Co-ordination”), sieged in Cava di Tirreni, Pza Abbro No 1 , represented by its President, Prof. Mr Marco Galdi, Mayor of the municipality of Cava de' Tirreni (SA- Italy) ,
The Hellenic Red Cross, sieged in Athens , Lycavittou 1, represented by its President Mr. Andreas Martinis,
- members of the coordination base their Actions on the idea that Europe should be based on solidarity between the peoples and they intend to combine the efforts of the Community and national institutions, involving the world of local governments and civil society on initiatives of solidarity, with the emphasis on the sense of belonging to the European people;
- the Greek Nation is going through one of the moment difficult moments of its ancient and glorious history, because of the serious economic crisis that is gripping the country, considering that, nowadays, the government debt to GDP ratio (gross domestic product) is close to 160%, which is the highest in Europe;
- the objective of reducing the Hellenic huge public debt is exposing the weaker sections of the population to dramatic sacrifices, while innovative and efficacious development strategies are still struggling to assert themselves, making it possible to relaunch the economy and to deal adequately with social problems;
- the Hellenic Red Cross, institution of old and established national and international prestige, is certainly one of the most authoritative interlocutors among the deep-rooted organizations, assures to use the aid on the behalf of the Hellenic people to those who want to join the supporting initiative;
- the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, General Secretariat for Greeks Abroad (GGAE) , as responsible for everything the Hellenic Diaspora acts and promotes on behalf of the Motherland.
That being stated
It is hereby agreed between the parties, the following protocol:
1. The Coordination is committed to realize a campaign to increase awareness of the world of Italian and European local governments as well as in the Italian civil society, so that they adhere to the initiative of supporting the Greek people, in these severe economic times.
2. The Coordination is committed to open a bank account and to make it in Knowledge of the HRC under the indication “Assistance in favour of Greece”, in the headquarters on the siege of the same Coordination, where we can concentrate all the aid that will be obtained in the Italian context.
3. The Coordination is also committed to transfer, on a monthly basis, with effect from next March 25, 2012, date commemorating the independence of Greece, the sums collected on the Italian bank account to the Hellenic Red Cross, bank account on the No: 0026.0240.34.0201148693, IBAN : GR 4002602400000340201148693 and SWIFT CODE : EFGBGRAAXXX ( EFG EUROBANK – ERGASIAS AE / 13 Panepistimiou, 10564, Athens ) under the same indication “Assistance in favour of Greece”
4. The Hellenic Red Cross is committed, on a monthly basis, to inform the Coordination and the General Secretariat for Greeks Abroad (GGAE) of the Hellenic Ministry of the Foreign Affairs on how to use the aid received, which will be spent directly by the Red Cross or dished out from this to other organizations or associations in order to carry out verifiable programs of support to those most affected by the economic crisis.
5. The Coordination, from its side, will spread all the information sent by the Hellenic Red Cross to all the participants for the initiative of European solidarity.
6. This protocol is valid for one year, renewable for express agreement, after verification of the results achieved, with the agreement of all signatory parties, whether remain the economic and social needs which had justified the stipulation.
7. The signatories of this Protocol are aware that in times of difficulty must multiply their efforts to strengthen the bonds of brotherhood between the peoples of Europe, in order to increase awareness of belonging to a single civilization, born of the encounter between the Hellenic Civilization, the Roman, Germanic and Celtic. Shall also be persuaded to contribute, through the initiatives for supporting the Greek people, to build the Europe of Peoples and the People of Europe.
Athens, February, 29 2012
President of Coordination of the network of Mayors and Hellenes of Italy
President of Hellenic Red Cross